What's new in this version:
- It is now possible to convert legacy non-SMuFL MakeMusic fonts in documents to SMuFL-compliant music fonts
- Human Playback now recognizes expressions and articulations that use SMuFL-compliant fonts
- The TG Tools Easy Harmonics, TG Tools Easy Tremolos, Create Coda System, and Drum Groove plug-ins have been updated to use the correct characters in SMuFL fonts
- The Symbol Selection dialog box character grid can now be navigated with the arrow keys
- New libraries using the SMuFL-compliant Finale Maestro music font have been added for Accordion (articulations), Accordion Register (text expressions), Figured Bass (text expressions), Guitar (articulations), Guitar (smart lines), Guitar (text expressions), Ornaments (articulations), and Accidentals (articulations).
- The Symbol Selection dialog box now filters out blank and unused character slots
- Articulations created with the Petrucci and November fonts now play back correctly after closing and reopening a document
- The Reset and Reset All buttons now work as expected in the Clef Designer when using SMuFL-compliant music fonts
- Very large MusicXML files can now be successfully imported
- Exported MusicXML files now correctly capture tempo data in metronome marks, even if playback is not set in the text expression
Interactive music sharing functionality:
- Finale now enables you to quickly and easily share your notated documents with anybody. Without leaving the app, you can upload and share privately or publicly.
Standard Music Font Layout (SMuFL) support:
- SMuFL is a growing comprehensive standard that organizes musical characters into a common layout so music fonts are displayed correctly in every notation application that supports it. Spend less time searching for or creating musical symbols and more time making music.
Improved instrument list:
- Our revised instrument list ensures your notation looks great the first time—no matter which instruments you’ve chosen—and that you hear the correct sounds when playing a document. We’ve also added to the list of instruments you can use when starting a new document or editing an existing one.
- The latest version of MusicXML provides even more control when transporting your compositions. With more information than ever now being captured in a MusicXML file, you’ll be able to efficiently and confidently send files between practically any modern music software.
- We’ve tackled a lot of known issues, such as unexpected installer behavior and unusable display scaling on Windows, crashes due to macOS quirks, and problems with printing
- If Finale encounters a problem when saving a document, a warning message with suggested actions is now displayed
- Documents using the Handwritten Document Style now recognize entered chord suffixes containing flats
- Note stems are no longer displayed with incorrect thickness when navigating in Simple Entry
- Exported MusicXML files now retain more specific notation details in multiple areas
- Accessibility alt tags have been added to many images in the user manual
- Scrolling and zooming in Page View is now smoother and more responsive
- Many user interface changes have been made to offer a better experience in macOS’ Dark Mode
- Word extensions that extend over system breaks can now be more easily vertically re-positioned
- EPS graphics imported into a Finale document now display and print correctly on macOS 10.15 Catalina
- Exact slur positions are now exported
- Hidden clefs now export as hidden
- Hidden Smart Shapes are no longer exported
- Hidden time signatures at the start of a part now export as senza misura
- Hyperlinks for measure-attached text blocks are now exported
- Metronome font information is now exported
- Parts with no visible clefs are now imported without clefs displaying
- Positions of text repeats at the end of multimeasure rests export more accurately
- Staff Style changes in the middle of the first measure are now exported
- Text in the JazzText, Broadway Copyist Text, and Finale Copyist Text fonts now exports more accurately, especially for codas, segnos, and metronome marks
- The Scale Expression with Attached Note setting found in the Expression Assignment dialog box is supported during export
Page Layout (Mac Users Only):
- Finale 26.2.2 maintains the page layout when opening a file with the Automatic Update Layout option deselected from the "Preferences - Edit" dialog box
- Catalina introduced issues that, while obscure for most users, prevented us from calling Finale v26.1 “compatible.” We’re happy to announce that Finale v26.2 is compatible with macOS 10.15 Catalina.
Security Enhancements and Bug Fixes:
- The version 26.2 update also provides security improvements for both Mac and Windows that help keep you and Finale protected and up to date. While supporting these security updates isn’t required until 2020, we’re keeping Finale ahead of the curve.
- As always, we’ve fixed several customer-reported issues in this free update. These affect everything from page formatting to plug-ins:
- Patterson Beams has been updated to properly affect grace notes and resized notes.
- The Finale Click volume (in the Click and Countoff dialog box) is now adjustable on a per-document basis.
- “Consolidate Rests Across Layers” is now included in FinaleScript’s import layer options command.
- As part of our ongoing work “under the hood” in Finale, we’ve incorporated several improvements to Document Options that not only give you more reliable results, but are also part of our continued efforts to modernize Finale. Learn more about those efforts directly from the product team in our recent development update.