What's new in this version:
- Omni Automation [PRO]: Omni Automation now supports calls to network resources that require authentication or use a RESTful API. For more detail, see the API Reference Release Notes.
- Updated localizations
- Scheduling: fixed a bug that could cause manually scheduled tasks to be scheduled very far in the past when task is set to use ALAP scheduling
- Documentation: updated the reference manual
- Localizations: additional localization improvements
- Leveling: fixed a hang that could occur when automatic leveling encountered manually scheduled tasks
- Localizations: OmniPlan is now localized in English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, and Spanish
- Documentation: updated the reference manual with additional information about new features introduced in OmniPlan 4 (reference manual is currently only available in English)
- Inspectors: a more obvious indication is now displayed in the Inspector when no value is specified for a color and improved consistency of none and default values in color popup menus
- macOS Big Sur: improved compatibility with macOS Big Sur
- Dependencies: entering invalid prerequisite/dependency values no longer causes OmniPlan to hang
- Inspectors: dependency editor popover no longer jumps unexpectedly when changing dependency type
- Leveling: fixed a bug that could cause F→S dependencies between two ASAP tasks in an ALAP project to be ignored when leveling
- Microsoft Project Import: MPP and XML files are now successfully imported when dropped on the OmniPlan icon in the dock when OmniPlan is not already running
- Omni Automation: added missing support for Formatter.Duration
- Scheduling: restored ability to set different values for Effort and Duration on tasks without resources assigned
- Sync Actions: fixed a bug that could cause previously configured Sync & Sharing actions to be incorrectly listed as NOTITL
- Templates: adjustments have been made to the default templates
- Violations: deleting a task with a violation now immediately clears warning from the task’s collapsed parent group in the outline
- Stability: fixed a crash that could occur when copying a resource
- Omni Automation [PRO]: fixed a bug that allowed Omni Automation Plug-Ins to be run in OmniPlan standard (Omni Automation requires OmniPlan Pro)
- Timelines: addressed a bug that could cause date headers to fail to display on a Mac running a beta OS
- Trials: improved behavior on final day of trial
- Crash Reporting: OmniPlan crash reports can now be submitted on a Mac running a beta OS
- Stability: fixed a crash that could occur when scheduling a recurring task
- Stability: editing the slack limit field in the Milestone Inspector no longer triggers a crash
- Stability: Fixed a crash related to interval cost tracking
- Stability: Accessing the purchase menu item no longer crashes on Macs running a beta OS
- Interval Tracking: cost and effort tokens can now be added as labels below tasks in the Gantt or displayed in the Gantt header. These tokens display the total cost or effort for each time increment, or the cumulative total cost or effort up to that time increment. Interval tracking data can be configured and included in CSV and OmniOutliner exports.
- Recurring Tasks: tasks can now be scheduled to occur at daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly intervals
- Task Roll Up: group tasks can now to be set to “When closed, roll up children” in the Task Inspector. When this option is set, sub-tasks and milestones are displayed as individual task bars on a single line, rather than a single encompassing task bar.
- Manual Task Scheduling: tasks now support manual scheduling. Tasks which are set to be scheduled manually will use the start and end dates you provide—OmniPlan will not attempt to automatically reschedule them. (Manual task scheduling replaces the “locked” task date functionality offered in previous OmniPlan versions.)
- New Project Assistant: OmniPlan now presents a setup assistant when creating a new project, making it easier to create projects with desired configurations and less likely that common settings will be overlooked.
- Templates: three new built-in templates replaced the templates used in prior versions of OmniPlan-Standard Project, Standard Project (Styled), and Simple Project. Projects created by importing content are now created in the default template.
- File Type: OmniPlan projects can now be saved as flat files or package files. Flat files are safer for certain cloud services and network storage systems like Dropbox and Box, while package files can be more efficient for projects using baselines.
- Automatic Light/Dark Mode: projects created with default OmniPlan templates now automatically switch between light and dark mode when your system does
- Project Outline View: new, dedicated top-level project outline view
- Unified Resource View: project and resource work hour customization have been consolidated into an enhanced Resource View. This view provides easier access to existing functionality and introduces a new schedule exception popover and customized day list, which allow for titling schedule exceptions and creating exceptions that span any length of time.
- Inspector Appearance: appearance, layout, and organization of all inspectors have been updated to increase discoverability and improve access to functionality.
- Inspector Behavior: Inspectors now switch automatically between tabs in a more logical manner.
- Updated Task Schedule Inspector: support for scheduling tasks manually has been added to the Task Schedule Inspector, and the workflow for setting up task constraints has been updated. Task baseline information has been separated into a new Task Baseline Inspector.
- New Task Scheduling Influences Inspector: the functionality previously offered by the “Show Scheduling Influences” popover is now displayed in a dedicated Task Inspector.
- Overhauled Styles Inspector: the Styles Inspector has been redesigned to offer easy access to all of OmniPlan’s advanced styling functionality in one place, replacing OmniPlan 3’s Styles View.
- Unified Custom Data Inspector: Notes, Key/Value Data, and Linked Files are now managed in a unified Custom Data Inspector.
Gantt & Timeline:
- Dependency Lines: dependency lines can now be selected and deleted in the Gantt view
- Gantt Selection: the entire row is now highlighted when a task is selected in the Gantt view. You can also click anywhere in a task’s row to select a task in the Gantt, and some dragging and selection behaviors have been adjusted.
- Resource View: the “Unassigned” swimlane in the Resource timeline can now be hidden
- Task Type Column: a Task Type column can now be added to task outlines
- Violation Column: the Violation icon is now displayed in the Violation column when a collapsed group contains a task with a violation
- Outline Behavior: documents now remember when “Collapse When Not Editing” outline behavior has been selected
Scheduling & Leveling:
- Leveling: completed and partially completed tasks are now included when leveling resources
- Resources: work calendars for material and equipment resources are now respected when scheduling tasks
- Scheduling: various scheduling improvements have been made for more efficient and accurate project schedules
- Conditional Styles: Conditional styles, like Overdue and Completed, now affect all task types
- Default Styles: it’s now possible to specify a default style for hammock tasks. Default task style groups now support strikethrough text styling.
- Change Tracking [PRO]: change tracking has been updated for improved reliability
- Export: OmniGraffle export has been replaced by Graphviz (DOT). Graphviz files can be imported by OmniGraffle, as well as by a range of third-party applications. Exporting projects as OmniOutliner 5 .ooutline files is now supported.
- Notice Bars: the appearance of the Change Tracking, Filtering, Monte Carlo Simulation, and Import notice bars has been updated
- View Customization: view customization options have been reorganized to make them easier to find and adjust
- Reports Window [PRO]: The appearance and layout of the HTML Reports window have been updated
- Omni Automation [PRO]: Support for Omni Automation has been updated, and detailed notes about automation enhancements and changes can be found in the API Reference Release Notes